Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Who Knew? Cinco de Mayo

Reprinted from my wordpress.com blog dated May 5, 2010.)

I have to confess that once I actually said that I did not speak Spanish so I did not know what Cinco de Mayo meant. As I was stared back at dumbfoundedly, he said, “Uh, cinco, as in the number five…” The light went on. Sheepishly, I said, Oh, yeah. Cinco – five; Mayo – May…the fifth of May. Admittedly, I catch myself saying “blondish” comments like that every once in awhile; thankfully, though, less and less as I age.


I also have to admit that I had no idea what was significant about the fifth of May to Mexico. After a bit of research, I learned that Mexico defeated the French unexpectedly at the Battle of Puebla in 1862.

Here is something else I learned in that research. There are basically only two entities, worldwide, that celebrate Cinco de Mayo: the State of Puebla (naturally) and……wait for it…..the good ole USA. We just love a party, don’t we?! Not even elsewhere in Mexico is this day celebrated, interestingly enough. Perhaps it is that this country began as the melting pot of people from the world over. We love playing host still and don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings, so let’s be sure to celebrate every countries’ holiday (there is probably more truth to that than we know).

Or another school of thought. It’s all a marketing ploy. Let’s find the common denominator, shall we? St. Patrick’s Day….Irish beer (think Guinness); Oktoberfest….German beer (think Beck’s); Cinco de Mayo….Mexican beer (think Corona). Yes….it is beer. Not being a big beer connoisseur, it never really hit me before, but yes, I believe the beer industry is behind it all!


I’m not complaining, mind you. I’m thankful for the help with tonight’s dinner menu: tacos, refried beans, chips/salsa, and an ice cold Corona Lite (with a twist of lime). I am a marketers dream afterall. To Mexico! To Puebla! Salut!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean so much.
Many thanks for taking the time to drop me a note.
Warmest regards ~ Carol