Monday, February 21, 2011

Who Moved My Cheese??

Do you remember this book that came out some time ago?  I have not read it, but it may be a good time to get it.  Ten days ago, I was told my job would be eliminated in the department I had worked in for the last seven years.  While my boss (and best friend) worked hard to find me a new home prior to her breaking the news to me, it was and has been a bit of a hard pill to swallow.  Not only was I being moved, I was loosing my Sanctuary.  That is what I called my office.






That news was delivered to me just as I was leaving for a surprise trip to my mother's in Georgia.  My older brother and I made a very quick, but wonderful, trip to visit my mother for her 70th birthday.  I now got to carry this new heavy burden with me on the trip.  It was a wonder the plane got off the ground.  (The trip to my mother's was wonderful, however.  We've never surprised her so!!)

When I returned, I came in and started deconstructing my work haven.  I had some big items....a large picture (my last official purchase while at Ethan Allen), a chair, a cabinet, mirror, pilaster, plants, etc.  It did me a bit of good to come in on a Sunday, when no one was there, and spend some time in control of my situation.  (pictures above)

I find it funny.....as in interestingly quirky.....that I am brought back to reality by movie lines.  Let's go back to one of my favs.  We've visited here before, but I just had to go back again....



"People are always saying that change is a good thing.  But all they're really saying is that something you didn't want to happen at all....has happened."  Kathleen Kelly (aka Meg Ryan) in You've Got Mail.

Here is one more.  It came crashing into my brain this very morning when I had to go visit my old department only to see a former co-worker's daughter playing on the computer in my now empty office.  Ouch!  Many other changes are still happening and will continue to happen for the next six months or so.  In the course of conversation regarding some of the upcoming changes, I said I wasn't sure if "they" would want me in one of the supposed new positions, I was told, "Of course they would.  This wasn't about you personally.  It was just the position."  Maybe so....but it feels personal to me.

Joe Fox: It wasn't... personal.



Kathleen Kelly: What is that supposed to mean? I am so sick of that. All that means is that it wasn't personal to you. But it was personal to me. It's *personal* to a lot of people. And what's so wrong with being personal, anyway?


Joe Fox: Uh, nothing.


Kathleen Kelly: Whatever else anything is, it ought to begin by being personal.
 
You got that right!!  So....here I sit in my new cubicle, with all my favorite things surrounding me, with not a clue of what to do.  I've been told I will be trained, but so far....no.  So I will write to you instead.
 
Blessings do abound here.  I know.  This could be a wonderful change, to a new office, possibly even a new career path.  I know I am one of the lucky ones.  There will be many in the months ahead, who will not have a place to go and will be jobless.  I am thankful.....really I am. 
 
I even clipped a tiny version of this little picture to remind me what I should be doing and concentrating on:
I'll work on it.

So between getting canned (I mean moved); a whirlwind trip to see my mother in Georgia; moving my office to a cubicle; running around from fabric store to tile store to workroom for two projects I am working on; keeping abreast of my husband's neice who, out of nowhere, became gravely ill; to learning of an old friend's sudden passing; I have not made it to blogland in a while.  As a nice turn of events, however, I spent my birthday (this past Saturday) at a lovely wedding aboard a yacht in Ft. Lauderdale.  My husband's youngest son, Todd, married his sweet Lisa aboard the Caprise.  The weather-incredible, the scenery-magnificent, and the company-full of love. 


This picture was taken from the hotel balconey
where everyone gathered to get ready prior
to boarding.

All five of my granddaughters in one shot!!
From the left:  Brianna, Reagan, Taylor, Kennedy
and Kloe (in the stroller).  That's me in black behind her.
The groom is the man on the left.  My son in the middle
and my son-in-law on the right.

Mr. and Mrs. Todd Bass

Todd and Lisa.
Beautiful homes on the water in Ft. Lauderdale.

Hopefully this will start an upward swing and things will begin to settle. I'd like to catch up with my favorite blogs and even throw a couple of posts out there myself.  I promise to be much more entertaining in the near future!  If you've made it this far, thank you!!  No more wallering for me!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you, Carol. I completely agree with your thoughts on "personal." I was there a few years ago but wasn't one of the lucky ones. Although in retrospect, I was VERY lucky for a blessing that has only recently revealed itself - had it not been for that moment in time, there would be no freckled laundry. Change is uncomfortable and I'm sending prayers that it goes smoothly for you and that you find new sanctuary where you are. Happy belated birthday! You son's wedding & bride look beautiful. I envy those photos as I freeze here in NY!

    Hugs,
    Jami

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much.
Many thanks for taking the time to drop me a note.
Warmest regards ~ Carol